Friday, May 20, 2016

Art Journal Backgrounds with Rebecca Baer Stencils

Hello friends! Today I want to share how I build my backgrounds in my art journals.  For those of you you who don't know where to begin this should be a quick easy to follow tutorial and Rebecca Baer's stencils are so elegant and beautiful.  They will give you a different look than most stencils.

To begin my project I started with 3 stencils but ended up using only 2. I used Enchanted Vines and Entwined in the Medium sized Stencils.

You can use any mists you like, I used Dylusions, and you will also need paper towels and a spray bottle with water in it.

Here is the background I will be sharing with you today.


To begin this background you will need to start with your mists.  I started out with Bubble Gum Pink.

Using a paper towel rub the color in until there are no more puddles.
Spray your next color, which will be Pure Sunshine.

Using a paper towel rub the color in until there are no more puddles. You can now see where your colors are starting to create colors of their own.




Spray your next color, which will be Postbox Red
.

Using a paper towel rub the color in until there are no more puddles.  You will finish off your colors with Squeezed Orange.  Repeat the paper towel technique.

This is what your page colors will look like at this point.




Your next step is to lay the Enchanted Vine Stencil in the upper left corner of your 2 page spread and mist it with water.




Carefully lift the stencil ant flip it over to the right bottom corner pressing with your paper towel and soaking up the excess water.  This technique is called Ghosting. and you will see why once you finish this



Here is what your upper left corner will look like.



Here is the right bottom corner, completely different than the left corner.

Repeat this process until you get the background you want.








You can achieve so many different looks with these techniques.  Here are just a few more samples I've done recently. 





I hope you enjoyed these techniques and thanks for stopping by the Prairie Rose Cafe today!

Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment